Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Month in the Making

Well, we've been here in Germany for one full month now. It's been an amazing experience so far, but there is SO much more still on my to-do list.

In one month - four weekends - we've been able to visit quite a few places: Rothenburg, Heidelberg, Fussen, skiing in Obsterdorf, the Neuschwanstein Castle, Koln (Cologne), Frankfurt, and Oberstenfeld (twice!)

Not bad for a month. I think my goal for this next month will be to tackle the trains and actually take some day trips by myself in the surrounding areas. There are many areas within an hour train ride that I want to explore. Who knows...maybe I'll find a travel buddy soon.

Apartment Shopping
Several other things are going on right now, but of course there's always the urge in the back of my mind to sit right here and plan our trips for every weekend for the rest of the year. No! First, we are looking for another apartment, which is on the brim of being a nightmare. But we're not out of hope yet. We toured a large, very nice apartment on Saturday. I had told the Realtor on the phone that we have a cat. And of course he forgot to mention it to the landlord. Half way through the tour, I asked to confirm that she allowed animals. Nope. So we left in the middle as there was no need to continue. Yesterday I contacted a apartment owner who was renting for a good price in a larger town 15 minutes away. I asked for the address of the apartment so we could drive by it before moving ahead with touring it, so we drove by last night. It was in the boonies compared to the large city. I told Derek that it's me he has to come home to. I'd probably be depressed everyday if I lived in the boonies. So the search continues.

Physical Activity 
In other news. We got bicycles! I've trekked on some paths around here. It's beautiful.


I don't think I've ever been so happy to join a gym! We took a tour of the Heppenheim Sports Park two weeks ago and it was oh so nice, but way too expensive! Derek asked around at work and we are now having a tour and "personal training" night with the trainer at a nearby gym next Monday. That's how they do it here. You can't just join a gym. You must first check out your health and make you know how to use the equipment. Sounds good to me! Supposedly I will be able to do classes and use the sauana! Not to mention the wedding is less than 3 months away and I have to get into a swimsuit.

Hm, what else is going on around here?

Time with the Family
Many of you know that Derek has German relatives here in Germany - about 1 hour 15 minutes away from here. It couldn't be better! Derek is in the fourth generation of the family, and Marius (our age) had stayed with Derek for a year in high school. It's amazing how well the families have stayed connected. We've stayed at their house for two weekends now. The first weekend, our first full weekend here in Deutschland, we ate kuchen and kaffee, toured the delicious looking, tasting and smelling family bakery, toured the flour mill, ate delicious homemade German meals, and went to a Carnival parade. This past weekend we headed down on Saturday evening for Sophia's 15th birthday. An interesting thing we noticed about German birthdays is that you don't celebrate until your actual birthday. Her party was on Saturday and her whole family was over. But no presents were opened or happy birthdays sang until midnight. It was pretty neat! Our next adventure with the family will be on Easter- they've invited us to a lake house in Southern Germany to spend Easter with them! I'm so excited!



What's up Next
So I've taken it upon myself to plan the next month of trips. This past weekend, we visited the family in Obstenfeld and then headed to Frankfurt for the day on Sunday. Next weekend, we are headed to Nurembourg for a night - we'll leave early Saturday morning and come back on Sunday evening. We'll stay in a pension - a cheap bed and breakfast type of place. Photos to come. The following weekend we are sleeping at home, but touring the area during the day - specifically Wiesbaden and Mainz. There is a large Easter Market that I am very excited about! The following weekend (if all goes as planned) we will be in Trier, the oldest city in German, filled with Roman ruins and vineyards. Then we go to the lake for Easter. I hope to go to Paris, Amsterdam or some other adventure outside of Germany in the second to last weekend in April. We shall see!



My German lessons are going well and I hope to find some other activities to get involved with soon. Yesterday I actually inquired to two different programs nearby about teaching English or Language Exchanges, but no response yet. I've also reached out to the University of Heidelberg about the same ideas. My German teacher speaks Spanish so I've been practicing some phrases in my head about how to ask her for ideas of involvement. I'll keep you posted!
We visited the Shäfer Bakery in Heppenheim (Mom's maiden name)

Derek (quote of the day as he bites into his kuchen): "This is why we're here"





In front of the Frankfurt Opera House

Frankfurt banking center

In Frankfurt

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,

    Looks like you are having a great time in Germany! If you ever make a trip to visit Spain, I'm living in Madrid.... it's no Seville, but it's fun! ;) Congrats on the engagement, and good luck with the German lessons!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought? Share it with me!