Saturday, January 19, 2013

Living in Germany: One Week Left



Well, here it is. The closing of one adventure, but surely the start of another. In one week from today, we'll be on a plane en route to Detroit, and then to Evansville, Indiana. We'll have our four suitcases re-packed, Simba in hand and leave the life we've created here in Germany. It's crazy to think about where time goes, but when I think back to this past year, time allowed us to have some pretty incredible adventures.

Derek and I keep talking about the next chapter of our life together. What will it bring? We're blessed with the security of his job, a newly secured apartment to move in to, and friends and family that we're greatly looking forward to seeing. I've had some job interviews and hopefully have some more lined up. Skype with low-speed Internet is not my favorite means of communication, but I hope with each interview, I improve my communication skills.

How have we been savoring our remaining time here in Germany? This month has been filled with preparations for our return, a trip to Spain, and also spending time with our Deutsche friends. Two weeks ago we cooked an American breakfast for some friends and then joined them for an afternoon in Miltenberg at the Engelberg Monastery about 1.5 hours away. With 600 steps to the top of the large hill, the monastery provided beautiful views of the Odenwald and tasty beer. Last night we had our friends over for dinner, where I proceeded to make a very large mess while making carbonara. It was a lovely time with great friends - friends that we will truly miss when we leave. (Eva and Philip are visiting Indy in May!) I'll go to zumba for the last time this week with Nadine, and we'll  meet everyone for dinner on Thursday. I also teach my last English classes on Wednesday, complete with my students' new favorite cookie, the Snickerdoodle. We've sold the washing machine and we're working on the car and bikes. Three boxes are filled with excess belongings, namely Derek's beer glass collection. Slowly but surely, it will all come together.

It's hard to say how I will feel when we return to Indy. Being in a room with all English speaking natives will be a bit overwhelming at first, and it will be strange to have English TV. It will also be strange to have a dishwasher, but oh so wonderful! There will be several parts of our American life that we will have to re-adjust to, but at the same time, we'll add parts of German culture to the mix.

Life here as treated us well. And I'm excited to see what else is in store!

Derek was sitting in Simba's chair.
Last dinner together at our house.
Love these girls!

Group at the monastery

View from the Engelberg Monastery

600 steps to the bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Share it with me!