Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Living in Germany: Some of Our Favorite Things

Recently, I posted a blog about many things Derek and I are looking forward to upon our return to the United States like Mexican food and English TV. Although we are looking forward to our return home and seeing family and friends, there are many, many parts about Germany and our life in Germany that we are going to miss. Here's what comes to mind first:

Derek enjoying the tranquility in Switzerland
Weekend trips to other countries. We've heard from many of our German friends that Derek and I have explored many more parts of Germany let alone Europe than they have, living in Germany for their whole lives. I suppose when you give an American a limited about of time, car, paycheck, and wife at home, trips get planned. Derek and I have been so fortunate to travel not only to most major (and small, quaint) cities in Germany but also several other countries; this lifestyle is something I will truly miss. However, through my experience abroad, I have gained a greater appreciation for the United States and look forward to discovering our home country. It's easy to take something for granted when it's been out your backdoor your entire life; so a resolution for not only 2013 but beyond, is to seek out the special places not only in Indiana, but across the country as well.

Pastries: Happiness in every bite.
Bakeries. Berliners, apfel strudel, shoko croissants, kaffee und kuchen. I do not doubt that these delicacies have aided to my five pounds in weight gain, but bakeries are everywhere. Our little town has four within walking distance of my house. And not only do they sell delicious pastries and numerous fresh-baked breads, but many have pre-made, fresh sandwiches for a cheap, on-the-go lunch. Yum!

Public transport. Since I don't drive, I take the bus and train while Derek is working. Although it can be frustrating if the bus is late or if the train is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, I can still get almost anywhere with public transportation. We've taken the train to Munich, Amsterdam, Prague and Paris. Europe is connected and it would be nice if the U.S. would get on board as well!

 A Festival in Salzburg
Festivals.  With wine festivals celebrating the opening of the season and then the harvest and church festivals in every German town, Germans always have a reason to celebrate. Christmas time equals Christmas markets in every town, and October not only means Oktoberfest in Munich, but mimicked festivals throughout the rest of Germany. In the main festival season, from about May to October, you'll find wine festivals all along the Bergstrasse and Weinstrasse and kerwes add another reason for the town to come together and prost with a beer. Before festival season, there are still other festivals called Fashing, or Carnival. Carnival officially starts in Cologne at 11:11 on November, 11 and goes until Ash Wednesday.

Nature. Yes, of course we have an uncountable number of beautiful places in the United States. However, the area that Derek and I live in is set among small, rolling mountains dotted with vineyards and entrances to the Odenwald National Park. I will miss the view as I walk home from the grocery store.
Our Zwingenberger vineyards and small mountains

Bergstrasse in Fall


Derek's Thoughts:


Work Colleagues, Friends and Family:
Over the past year I have had the privilege to work with many great people in Germany. One of the things that I love about my office is that it really does have a “family” feel to it. The office is an “open office” concept where only small dividers separate each desk. We eat lunch together in the Kantine (lunchroom), talk together outside after lunch (I mostly listen and try to understand as much of the conversation as possible), celebrate birthdays and weddings, and many other elements that make even a foreigner feel at home.

Marius, Caroline and Derek at Beilstein's wine fest
We've made some great friends during our time here as well and would not have had the same experience without them. We are hoping to have a lot of German visitors in America, beginning with Eva and Philip who will join us to celebrate one of America’s greatest events, the Indy 500.  

We have also had an incredible time getting to know our German relatives better. We had the opportunity to spend Easter, Christmas, and a few birthdays with them, along with numerous other times where we were invited or visited for one reason or another. It was our home away from home, and we were very fortunate to have that kind of support here in Germany.  I know our families will continue to strengthen the bonds that we have and look forward to what the future may bring. We will miss them very much.

Bier
Nothing beats a Hefeweizen
You cannot mention favorite things about Germany without mentioning the beer as well, just like I learned from Django that you can’t have a real German story without a mountain in it. I have fallen in love with the German Hefeweizen, as well as the Keller bier. Not only are these beers delicious and full-flavored, but most of them cost the same or even less than our Bud/Miller type beers and you can mix and match whatever beers you want when buying a case.  The Getränkemarkts will be sorely missed.


Autobahn
I will admit, when I first arrived to Germany after traveling for 20 hours and got into our standard transmission rental car (I hadn't driven stick for years), the Autobahn seemed like a daunting task.  That feeling quickly went away after a couple days and I discovered the joy of being able to basically travel as fast as you want towards your destination. It will be a sad day when I get onto the 465 loop around Indy with a 55 mph speed limit.




And the rest goes without saying. We've made wonderful friends here, and I don't want to say goodbye. I will miss being able to walk to the store, or ride my bike to through the vineyards, past the carrot plants and to the store most similar to a CVS. I'll miss having fresh bread, salami and local brie cheese as an acceptable meal three out of three days on a trip. (actually, that's pretty acceptable.)  I'll miss drinking wine made from the grapes in my town and admiring the red tiled roof tops of the half-timbered houses. I'll miss meeting the girls for drinks in the Heppenheim marketplatz and the way it feels to board a train or plane with only a backpack, ready for adventure and an inhale of culture. I'll miss many, many things about this place. And I'm sure I will discover what I truly miss once we are settled into our new apartment in Indy.

Where else will I find a giant sausage table/trash can!?
Or giant Ritter Sport?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Share it with me!