Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One week into Gemütlichkeit

Hallo! That's one of about ten words that I know. But with 2-3 hours of Rosetta Stone a day, I'm hoping that I increase my vocabulary and thus my confidence rapidly.

Oh, where to start. We've been official residents of Germany (well, Derek has been) for about one week now. Honestly, it feels like I've been here a month. Not because I feel super comfortable with the town and obviously the language, but I think it's because our apartment actually feels like home.

We currently live on a gorgeously quaint street, with large, beautiful German houses. Our apartment is actually quite spacious - with full furnishings. I open the shutters every morning and let the sunlight in (yes, there's been quite a bit of sun) and I look off into the distance as the sun reflects on the Starkenburg castle. Sounds like a dream, eh? I even discovered last night that the washing machine is on our floor! (yes, we'll be hanging ALL clothes to dry out back). And even as I type this, I enjoy a glass of German trocken wein (dry wine) that cost only 1.5 euros, roughly $2.00, and it's really good.

I could keep going, but yes, we are enjoying ourselves. I think the biggest challenge is for me to be alright with not being involved in something, yet. I keep telling myself, "we haven't even been here a full week. It's ok!" And it is. Just as everything as worked out (knock on wood) perfectly so far, I do not doubt that I will find something to get involved in, work at, etc. Actually, I think I might go on a "weed" tour of the nearby hills tomorrow. Sounds good to me!

Just like it was when Abby and I went to Spain and Costa Rica, there's always a beginning point of your surroundings being so unfamiliar. Give it two weeks and you feel like you belong and that you are going to be just fine. I'll get there. And I'm excited for the journey along the way. Right now, it's just nice to know that it's OK to study in the morning, perfect a new language and live a "Gemütlichkeit" life- simple, happy and knowing what's really important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Share it with me!