Thursday, February 23, 2012

Zulassungsstelle - Registering a Car in a Foreign Country

I did it! My first big accomplishment since arriving to Germany. I successfully registered our naked car so that we can now drive it.

Why is this such a big deal? It's really not. But in Germany, small accomplishments are big to me right now. I'll explain my adventure.

On Tuesday of this week, I ventured out to find the Zulassungsstelle with a picture of the directions from Google Maps on my phone. I tried to follow the instructions and ended up at a building that looked like an auto registrar office- there were city maps, photos and other car "stuff" around the office. Wrong! I'm not sure what that place was, but a nice man gave me directions to where I really needed to go. Except there was road construction and lack of street signs. So I ventured to walk on a tiny sidewalk on one of the busier streets in the town. I walked under the bridge, hugging the wall, and discovered that the sidewalk abruptly ended and to get to the sidewalk above, I'd have to climb a small hill which was obviously not what I was supposed to do- what a great way to stick out like a tourist. Nope, not going to do it.

So I retreated home. Tuesday night, Derek and I drove to the registrar office and found an alternate route. So on Wednesday, I made the 1.2 mile trek (not so far) back to the office. I told the lady at the front desk "No spreche kein Deutsch." She laughed a little, looked at some of my paperwork, and took me to a man who spoke some English. He explained that I need a "security" number and additional bank information filled out by Derek. Also, a bit lost in translation, he told me that I would need to have plates made outside at the plates shops around the registrar office. He explained how the stores charge different prices for license plates, and that depending on their mood and the day, the prices can fluctuate. I have to barter for plates?

So I headed back home and began translating some text on the papers he had given me. Day three, this morning, I headed back to the office, trying to convince myself that if I succeed, I can by myself a pastry. I went back to the same secretary as yesterday and she recognized me. She glanced over my papers once more and then gave me a number for the waiting line. I sat anxiously for about 10 minutes, and then it was my turn. With a big smile on my face, I said "Hallo, Ich spreche kein Deutsch." And the guy smiled.

I showed him the permission document that Derek signed so that I could register him, our passports, insurance, car papers, etc. He processed everything, and then told me to go outside and buy the plates and then come back inside and pay. Ok, time to barter.

I walked into a shop nearby and gave him a paper with my plate number. He started talking fast. I said "Ich kein Deutsch." Which means, "I'm not German." Whoops, I meant to say "I don't speak German." Then he said something about "Guggenberger" being very German and two minutes later I had my plates. It was that easy! I walked back over to the registrar office and paid the remainder dues. Then I walked out, called Derek, and took a picture of our new plates. Success! And I did not buy a pastry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought? Share it with me!